Thursday, February 9, 2012

Arriving in Africa for the First Time

Landing at the Entebbe International Airport was not quite what I expected.  I thought it would be a very small building, with a dirt runway.  Good thing it wasn't because I was in a very large airplane.  The plane came to a stop on the runway, the doors were opened and we departed via steps down to the tarmac. 

Moved into the airport to get my bags..............this was to be an adventure.  I had come with 2 VERY large duffel bags, a large regular bag, a little smaller bag, then my carry on........I grabbed the dolly and the bags began to come.  Thank goodness they were all there.  No problems, just a pain to get the heavy bags onto the dolly.  On this trip the weight allowance was 70lbs! per bag......

I piled all the bags on and headed to security...........before leaving the airport you must go through security again and have your bags scanned.  I understood, but sheesh, with all I had it was going to be forever.......oh, in 2008 they were still mostly checking luggage by hand not scanners.  I got to the line and stood for a couple of minutes, I must have been smiling from ear to ear, I so remember the feeling that "I AM HERE, I AM IN AFRICA".  As I scanned the area, I looked toward a security guard, smiled and said "Hello, how are you" the next thing I knew, he waved me on saying "go ahead with you", no checking, nothing.....he must have taken pity on this short white woman with WAY too much luggage.  The next thing I know I am looking into a sea of black faces and look to my right and see a very familiar smile, there is Henry Opio waiting for me.  I went directly to him, hugged him, with many people looking in awe......and off we went.  The vehicle was small, but we were able to fit it all in.  Emma Owii, Henry's youngest brother was there with us.  This was to be the beginning of a very good friendship also.  Emmanuel would become somewhat of a babysitter, tour guide, etc for me. 

Henry had told the keepers at UWEC that I was arriving so we drove to the banda where I would stay for the next month, then to the restaurant on the shore of Lake Victoria, waiting were the keepers.  This would be my favorite place, I would write here daily in my journal.  This would be my special place - forever. 

I feasted on a fried chicken, salad which was basically slaw but with a slight vinegar taste, and chips ( french fries) and ketsup!!! YUMMY....This would be my last American food for the next month! Even though I would again and again have fish and chips, or chicken and chips.  Ugandans eat it too.

Not reading the rules of jet lag, it was early afternoon, but I was exhausted, so I retired to my banda for a rest. 

My first morning I was awakened to the sounds of chimps screaming, the roar of Kibonge the lion, an ostrich vocalizing, YEP I AM REALLY HERE!

The following morning I began to sort out the gifts for my new friends.  So  much, it is hard for you to see it all...............It's difficult to see what all is here, boots, rain gear, tshirts, flashlights, batteries, pocket knives, watches.......I cant even remember it all.
Soon my new friends would benefit from what I and many, many people helped me obtain for them.

4 comments:

  1. Did I miss the posting of this? I am sure others will want to read it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Honestly, tears, happy tears, thinking about your joy and the amazing path you've chosen to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who is this??? I am curious to know who is following, and thanks........

      Delete
  3. I can just see you, wrangling all that baggage!

    ReplyDelete