Saturday, February 11, 2012

My African Adventure Begins

Part of my being in Uganda, and staying at UWEC is because they allow volunteers from around the world to volunteer and work side by side with the keepers.  They don't have the restrictions zoo in the US and probably Europe.  You are allowed any place the keepers are, you are allowed to be involved in Vet procedures, feeding, etc.  I was able to see work on a lion who had gone off food, ultimately discovering he had an abscess in a molar.  I was allowed to watch the amputation of a leg on an antelope, it had been badly damaged, but one of the most exciting was being able to care for and play with the young chimps.  The chimps at UEWC are all confiscated, and at present we have so many it is crazy.  People must learn...............CHIMPS DO NOT MAKE GOOD PETS.  Requirements are strict as to immunizations required to work at UWEC, therefore protecting the animals as much as possible.  One sweet baby chimp, before integrating into the group, chewed a bit of the tip of her finger off, from stress.  She was so sweet and shy, it took a bit but she warmed up soon.  As I was visiting the "devil bird" male ostrich, I felt the sweetest little hand on my leg, it was her.  So I picked her up and held her ever so close, our closest neighbor, praying for her a good life to come.

So now for the first week in Africa, I began working as a volunteer keeper at UWEC.  My first several days was with Mammals, where I met Alex Droma.  Along with me, a young lady from Hungary was also volunteering, her name was Kate Toth, to this present day, we are still communicating and good friends.

Day one working began at rhinos, where else.  After cleaning with tools I have never seen before, very little water pressure, if any at times.  Brooms made of sticks, shovels as for using in gardens..............wow, and they do such a great job with so little. From there, we cleaned at the carnivores: serval cat, lion, hyena.  From there to the "food store" for the animals to prepare the diets for them.  WOW what an adventure, keepers in the US, specifically the Little Rock Zoo, have it so easy.  I know, because I have prepared diets for animals there!

 

                                                           Feeding in Kob Meadow Exhibit


Feeding time began and some of my new friends were a little more patient than others.  As we drove the tractor into the exhibit, the rhinos came to us, following closely behind, never aggressive, just waiting............there exhibit was huge and gave ample space for mud wallow and dung piles, just as in the wild..............well close to it anyway!




Sherino and Kabira were the
first two White Rhino to return to
Uganda in 20 years





The morning routine ended around 2pm, then we rested for the remainder of the day.  The next day was to be the same, however, anyone in the animal field, knows the next day is NEVER the same. 


2 comments: