Sunday, February 19, 2012

Insight Into Trials of Everyday Life

In searching for things all can appreciate, I located many pictures from my first visit and what I thought would be my only visit to Uganda.  I want you to see just what people have to endure here just to make life better for wildlife. 
water hose for cleaning
African Way of Walking: with friends Jennifer and Kate who is from Hungary

Tools for the keepers




There is one vehicle that delivers food to the mammal area, another vehicle that is used for birds and reptiles.  Primates is lucky, they have a fridge and a two burner hotplate to make porridge for the chimps.  I found it very funny the first time someone told me to put in about 4 kilos of something???????????? DO WHAT.  I don't know kilos.......I didn't tell him I didn't know, I tried what I thought might be it............he laughed and asked what I thought we were feeding, it was for several ostrich, it looked like enough food for parrots.  I decided than I would tell people when I didn't know, oh yeah and keep the phone handy for the conversion app!

OK one more fun photo then on we go, this is my first and only attempt to prepare porridge for the chimps.  They all get it daily in cups served to them thru the wire inside the night house. 




As all keepers know, no day is the same and sometimes the day really takes a turn for the worse. 

On Chimp Island, there is a moat keeping the chimps safe and away from the public, but the moat doesn't complete circle the island.  There is a very high, strong fence and door on the back side of the island.  The way it is set up you can only see a huge area looking very natural, with the exception of some tire swings and things necessary for enrichment.  The keepers noticed a weak area on the fencing and reported it.  Before anything could be done, one morning the alpha male found it too, and promptly released the rest of the chimps into the zoo.  They traveled toward the front entrance.  The keepers responded and to make a long story short, they were lured back to the chimp area, no one was harmed, however the alpha male did make a run at the then director who quickly locked himself in his car.   All found that very funny.  The connection between the keepers and chimps made, what could have been a horrible problem, it possible to get them back in, no chemicals, no weapons.  I am still in awe of that day.  Was I around for it.......................NO!!!  Never in the right place at the right time....

Since my first visit, there are very few I knew then still there.  The people I met made an imprint on my life, that I will never forget.  UWEC is an awesome place and like all places in need of financial help for the animals and staff.  You can help if you want.  Look at their website.................www.uweczoo.org..............and meet my wonderful friends that made my first visit such a beautiful experience.



3 comments:

  1. Hello Jane....from Rose Krizan, your cousin Andy's wife in Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you on Facebook? There are ton of people with your name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my email address is:
    rosemk001@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete